21 Jan Everything you need to know about the Technical Services Framework for Open Data and Data Management for the Irish Public Sector
As a public body you’re collecting or using data as part of your day-to-day operations, which is used in the delivery of public services, for analysis and reporting and for future planning. Now it is time to share that data publicly for general reuse!
The Directive on Open Data and the Re-use of Public Sector Information – AKA The Open Data Directive – was transposed into National Law across EU Member States in July 2021 . Following this announcement we published an article on how to approach Open Data Publication for Irish Public Service Bodies – The Open Data Directive is here!
On January 24th 2022 the Office of Government Procurement made effective a procurement framework to facilitate access to specialist Open Data and Data Sharing skills and platforms – awarded to Derilinx and the Open Data Institute. The Framework was officially launched with a press release from Minister Ossian Smyth on February 23rd.
This Framework supports the provision of technical services for Open Data and Data Management and it is divided in 3 different areas:
1. Data Management
2. Fully hosted and managed Open Data Platform Solution
3. Ad-hoc consultancy advice and support services for Open Data and Data Management
The Open Data Initiative is underpinned by the Open Data Technical Framework and the Open Data Strategy 2017–2022. The Open Data Technical Framework provides a clear set of requirements for public bodies to ensure that published datasets meet clearly defined standards and are published in a consistent, persistent and truly open way, making them more discoverable, accessible, interoperable and reusable, while the Open Data Strategy sets out a roadmap for the Initiative’s continued progress and development.
The National Technical Services Framework for Open Data and Data Management is available to the following Public Sector Entities:
- Central Government Departments
- Government Agencies and Offices
- Local Authorities
- Contracting Authorities, inc. HSE, HIQA,Third Level Educational Institutions, ETBs, schools, etc.
- An Garda Síochána (Police), The Irish Prison Service, and The Defence Forces
Steps and Documentation
The following steps will guide you through the process to start your Open Data journey and leverage the OGP Framework:
- Contact Derilinx for an introductory call to help you decide the best course of action for your organisation (This is optional and you can reach out to us at any stage of the process).
- Visit the OGP’s Buyer Zone: This is the place where you will find all the information and documentation you need to complete in order to access the Services. These quick guides will help you navigate through the portal.
- Review the Framework’s guide to familiarise yourself with it.
- Complete and send the Notification to Activate Services Form (NASF). You can find guidance on how to complete the NASF in the appendix 4 of the guide.
Through our rich experience in Linked and Open Data Management, Derilinx is optimally placed to provide best-in-class Open Data and Data Management technical assistance and support.
If you would like to find out more about the potential of Open Data, Data Sharing and Data Management and how we can help your organisation, we would be delighted to hear from you.
You might also be interested in:
Latest posts for Irish Public Sector
The new Open Data Portal for the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine is live! – OGP Framework in Action!
The Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine (DAFM)’s new Open Data Portal is live! DAFM worked with Derilinx using the Technical Services Framework for Open Data and Data Management, facili...
It’s been one year since the OGP Technical Services Framework for Open Data and Data Management for Irish Public Service Bodies was launched. Multiple Irish Public Service Bodies and Local Authorities...
Nowadays, Data is everywhere. We all create Data and use it in one way or another, and every day it is more important that data is publicly open or shared internally with the purpose of improving soci...