The stages and approach of an end-to-end Data Management to enable Shared and Open Data
The second edition of the DAMA Data Management Body of Knowledge (DMBOK2) refers to data management as: “The development, execution, and supervision of plans, policies, programs, and practices that deliver, control, protect, and enhance the value of data and information assets throughout their life cycles.
Nowadays, data is everywhere. We all create data and use data in one way or another, and every day it is more important that data is publicly open or shared internally with the purpose of improving society by delivering better services, and, in general, generating positive impact.
Organisations that produce or manage large amounts of data should work on:
- Identifying and understanding the data they have available
- Identifying data suitable to be published or shared internally or with other stakeholders that might benefit from it.
- Openly or internally sharing that data for the common good and to comply with different legislations
There are different activities and frameworks to help your organisation manage your data more effectively:
- Data audit: to help your organisation identify and understand your data to better share.
- Data Maturity Assessment: to help your organisation get an understanding on where you are in the journey and to build a roadmap to manage your data effectively.
- Data Strategy: to help your organisation transform from data rich to insights rich.
- Data Portal: to help you publish your data within and outside your organisation (Open Data).
At Derilinx, we are passionate about being a key part of making our world Data rich. We work closely with our clients to ensure they have systems to benefit from high value data for their organisations, their stakeholders and sector and wider society.
Irish Public Sector Organisations can avail these products and services through the OGP Technical Framework for Open Data and Data Management. UK Public Sector Organisations can avail through G-Coud and DOS.
Data Management activities and frameworks:
The Data Audit exercise enables organisations to identify and understand:
- The extent and range of datasets that exist, their format and how their lifecycle is managed.
- The ranking of datasets in terms of their importance to service delivery and the perceived gaps in useful data that might help the delivery of these objectives.
- The potential for sharing datasets privately within the organisation and openly with the wider public.
Our Data Audit Framework, consisting of methodologies, processes and templates for cataloguing, provides a proven method for the identification of datasets, the compilation of a comprehensive inventory, and the definition of clear recommendations for managing and sharing this information.
Data Maturity Assessment provides the best practices roadmap to help organisations manage their data effectively.
The assessment helps organisations implement an evolved data strategy and solution to transform their data analytics processes to deliver business insights consistently.
It helps organisations move from data rich to insight rich and enables Data Management as a corporate capability.
Connecting data insights opportunities with business imperatives and data related initiatives (infrastructure, management, people, etc.) through a Data Strategy is a must for data oriented organisations.
The following 3 areas outline Derilinx’s approach to building a Data Strategy.
- There are three key pillars to achieving the desired outcome of delivering actionable insight to drive business value in a sustainable way: Clarity of Business Opportunities, Right Data and Technology supply, and Organisational readiness to produce and act on insights
- Our approach integrates four key success factors that will deliver a practical, cohesive and comprehensive data strategy: Business driven process delivering tangible Return on Investment, Visible Leadership Commitment to Data and Analytics, Accounting for multiple levels of data “maturity” across the organisation, and Removing silos
- Derilinx’s methodology to deliver a Data Strategy consists on three stages: Initiation, Discover and set vision, and Plan
While the data may be accessible online, it may still be difficult for potential users to find the data when they need it. (Open) Data Portals or Catalogues help users to browse and search through datasets to find the information that is relevant for them and their use-case. (Open) Data Portals provide rich metadata that helps users understand what a dataset contains, how it was created, when it was last updated, etc.
Derilinx’s datAdore Data Sharing Platform can help you govern data in a consistent and reliable manner, and share high quality datasets in a controlled way.
datAdore is a globally deployed, configurable Data Sharing platform, paving the way for evidence-based decision-making, rich business intelligence, and advanced data innovation. It is currently deployed as the underlying platform for several Open Data and Data Sharing portals of many Governments, Public Bodies and private enterprises.
Once Open Data is discoverable, accessible and usable, the opportunities for its application are endless. Whether it is with a simple Business Intelligence dashboard or with a focused complex Web Application, you and your users can gain valuable insights from the data, make more informed decisions and deliver positive impact.
Whether you are at the start of your Data journey or you are already publishing and reusing data, we are here to help you.
If you would like to find out more about the potential of Data Sharing, Open Data and Data Management and how we can help your organisation, we would be delighted to hear from you.
You might also be interested in:
In January 2023, the European Commission published a list of categories of high-value datasets that public sector bodies will have to make available for re-use, free of charge, by June 2024. This arti...
data.europa.eu recently published the report 'Rethinking the impact of open data – A first step towards a European impact assessment for open data'. In this article, we highlight some of the key findi...
Derilinx delivered a full Data Strategy for the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission – OGP in Action!
Last year we posted about the start of a data audit for the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission in Ireland (CCPC). This was the first step of a full data strategy that has now been delivere...